Monday, November 09, 2009

With apologies to Stacy...

Sorry. I didn't mean to leave you all hanging. Believe me, I'm not going to abandon the blog. As this pregnancy progresses you'll all be privileged to hear my snarky rants. I promise.

As I've learned before, the best way to change the situation is to blog about it. Since my last post I've had no ovary pain, and even though I still seem to have a rather large belly, I don't feel bloated anymore. In fact, I don't feel much of anything. I'm pretty symptom-free.

And yes, I just typed that with the goal of not being symptom-free for much longer.

I shouldn't lie or exaggerate. I have been getting odd attacks of "I'm so hungry, if I don't shove some carbs in my mouth NOW then I'm gonna puke". But they haven't been frequent, and I can't deny that I'm remembering how desperately nauseated I was at this point in my pregnancy with Kali. Frankly, I found the daily vomiting a bit reassuring.

This time around, I've managed to find myself a midwife. For those just joining us, when I was pregnant with Kali I called all the midwives in the city the DAY I got my BFP. They were all full, not taking any more clients. I was put on waiting lists and ended up in the care of a (wonderful, very competent) family physician. This time I called the day I saw those two shadowy lines... and today I met my midwife. It was a great meeting, but I'm not in the mood to describe everything right now. Suffice it to say, I'm pleased with my choice.

Okay, I will comment on one thing. She asked for the date of my LMP. Accustomed to doctors and their stupid wheel, I gave her the fabricated date I figured out by counting backwards 14 days from my egg retrieval. And then... my jaw dropped as she asked whether I have a regular 28-day cycle, or whether there's any other reason to believe that the wheel might not be right. I was in shock! I just reassured her that my cycle was tightly controlled throughout the IVF process, and that the clinic has not said anything to contradict the due date that we've figured out. Which is, incidentally, June 30.

And, having (mostly) caught you up, off I go to relieve myself of the restrictions of pants. I need to spend some quality time with my sewing machine, some stretchy material, and my favourite jeans.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Lol, you owe me no apology. I am one of those women that get drawn up in somsones cause that i just feel crappy that when I follow them very frequently, You will check and they havent updated since like the 10th week of pregnancy, per say when they are like a week from their due date.

Its depressing. Your quirky posts always maintain my need for a good laugh. Thankfull that is a need you have met ever since I peed my pants after reading about the hotdog in a hallway.

What can I say, Your blog has become like a drug to certain women. We all would like to continue this journey with you.


Thank you that you will not become one of those ladies that we will see today and will get a 5 year birthdays update.

Im Addicted , sorry! lol

Ms. Perky said...

Oh for heavens' sake, Sara! I get sick for a few weeks, stop reading blogs, fall behind and you went and got PREGNANT on me???

Um. Right - what I mean is, HOLYCOWCONGRATULATIONS! :)

I can understand the reassurance you get from the daily puking... but at least you don't have hyperemesis, right? (I do - and it's utterly dreadful... as much as I dreaded being symptom free... I'd take a little ambiguity right now!)

I'm so happy for you!

Tzivia said...

Yay, I love midwives! Doctors never believe you if you're tracking your cycle, but midwives want to hear all about it and will happily believe you over a stupid chart - or wheel. Enjoy.