Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Proud parenting moment

I thought I was proud when Kali ate a mouthful of dirt a while back. But really, nothing could please me more than what I saw today.

I gave Kali a cup of juice and then went back to cooking dinner. After a while I realized I hadn't heard her in a while, so I investigated. There was giggling coming from the back of the house, and I found her in the hallway near her bedroom.

She was holding a blankie and her baby doll, lying on her back, feet up on the wall, staring at the sunlight dancing off the wall, and giggling.

Other parents have lofty goals for their kids; to know the alphabet by age one, to read Chaucer before nursery school, to bring world peace with nothing but fishsticks and a ball of rubber bands. My main parenting goal is even loftier - I want Kali to become completely able to entertain herself without adult intervention or direction. I'm her mom, not her recreation director.


(this post has been brought to you by big N and little n - what begins with those? Oh yeah, nine new neckties, nightshirt, NOSE!)

2 comments:

Chris said...

Do you have a beta schedule or are you going to POAS? When, when, when???

ms. c said...

Oh, this made me laugh. What a delightful little story.
When it gets quiet around here I can usually find Sacha doing one of three things: pulling th entire roll of toilet paper, playing in the toilet, or emptying one of the dirty laundry hampers.