Sunday, November 18, 2007

Okay, now I get it.

I spent last Tuesday and Thursday with my friend X and her twin 10-week-old daughters. All I can say is, I get it now.

I finally get what is completely illogical and sounds ridiculous to the uninitiated: that it is entirely possible to be home from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and barely have time for a shower. That feeding, burping, changing, and consoling a baby really does take up your whole day. I must admit, it always sounded a bit suspect to me before... but now I get it.

I'm also relieved to have learned that my diapering, swaddling, burping, and comforting skills are up to snuff. I also know how to fold a Gra.co twin stroller, use the infant car seats, and sterilize bottles. I've learned to tie a moby wrap, and mastered the skill of doing everything - even peeing - with a baby strapped to my chest. In all of these ways, I'm ready for Lumpy.

But in a different, more commercial way, we're nowhere near ready.

I went to the Snug.abye factory outlet yesterday with my mom. We had the intention of buying 8-10 sleepers, but only came away with 3. Why? Let's just say that everything there was heavily gendered, except for the few yellow pieces and the green pieces that looked more like puce than like a pretty baby green. Mom promised that as soon as Lumpy is born she'll drop everything and buy some pink or blue sleepers. So much for going neutral.

For the record, if you're in the GTA it's well worth shopping at this outlet store. We bought 3 sleepers (two of which came with little baby hats), a fleece sleep sack, a baby hat, and three pairs of baby mittens for under $50. Score!

4 comments:

Aurelia said...

Okay, we definitely have to go shopping, and get some stuff. Although in my case, I prefer to look at furniture for the next while, okay?

Cajun Cutie said...

Yay! Lumpy won't be cold and nekkid! ;) Now, if we can only get him out of that laundry basket. :) Glad your shopping trip went well.

Wishin4bb said...

Glad you had fun with your friend and her twins. I am so nervous that I'm not going to know what to do when Kaleb gets here. Does she invite strangers over to care for her kids! New baby business perhaps? Market it to unsuspecting and unknowledgeable mommies. LOL

Thanks for the tip on the warehouse. Can't wait to go!

I'm so excited to see if Lumpy is going to be dressed in pink or blue!

moplans said...

I love shopping
I have to look up this outlet now.