Monday, June 18, 2007

First doctor's appointment

I met my doctor today. Nice lady. I think we'll get along fine.

I had zero questions to ask her. It probably made me look like a really clueless uninvolved mother-to-be... but in reality, I feel like there's no point in asking about deliveries, drugs, etc. because I really don't believe we'll get to that point. The doctor, on the other hand, was talking like I'm going to have a baby and be a mother and everything. It was very surreal.

Denial lives here.

At least Mr. December was able to come along and ask all of his questions. He was mostly concerned with the weight gain and nutrition aspects of things. Thank God Dr. F. straightened him out - pointing out that women have different gaining patterns in the first tri, and that all are ok, and that weight gain in the second and third tri should be about a pound a week. Mr. D said that her answer was much more relaxed than what he read in What to Expect. No shit. I should really burn that book.

So I have to make an appointment for a nuchal translucency scan, and go for some bloodwork... and that's it. It was actually my first doctor appointment in a long time where nobody asked me to take off my clothes. Weird.

13 comments:

ms. c said...

Baby, Mother- WOW! This is so great, Sara! YAY.

I'm glad you like the Doctor, and that you got to keep your pants on- unimaginable!! ;)

Thanks for visiting me today...4

Ms. Perky said...

I'm really glad your appointment went well and that she straightened out the hubby. Seriously, my husband is so ridiculously relaxed about that crap, I can't imagine him getting all huffy about something like that. He's a pharmacist who's pretty much of the opinion that your body knows what it's doing.

good luck with the NT scan. It's pretty neat. :)

Chris said...

Thanks for the comment, the reassurance and the virtual peach bellini :-)

Congrats on keeping your pants on!

Rachel said...

Only in the last couple weeks have I allowed myself to think about, "when the baby gets here". It is difficult once you have lost a baby to think about actually carrying a baby to term. I wish you luck and hope your scan goes well. I had mine about 2 weeks ago, it was amazing how much the baby had changed.

Tina / Anxious Changer said...

So glad to hear your appointment went well. I know it must be so strange for people to be acting like this is real - I hope it stays that way for you!

Erin said...

December- I can not imagine what it is like to be pregnant again after a loss.. It has to be hard..But I do believe that Lumpy is here to stay and you are going to be a mama!! Lots of Love!!

Aurelia said...

I am very very happy for you!

She is nice, isn't she? I assume that you will meet a few of the other Docs at some point, since they rotate vacations in the summer, I hope they are all just as lovely.

Anonymous said...

I am glad the first appointment went well!

Have you managed to eat since yesterday?

Mindy said...

Sara,

First of all, thanks for your note, I truly appreciate everyone's kind words and good wishes. Secondly, congrats on the doctor. I can hardly imagine how nice it would be to see an OB again instead of my RE!!

Caro said...

Haven't you burned that book yet? I'm glad it all went well but can imagine how surreal it must have been.

Gil said...

I'm sure it all seems really surreal at the moment. Terms like, baby, mother, delivery, birth which, up to now, probably have been more of the fantasy genre, are becoming reality. Denial is such a familiar blanket huh? Us IF chickas know all about how to be infertile, but how do we deal with *gulp* pregnancy?! Well, you've moved on to a new doc and it sounds like you're doing just fine. One day at a time and hopefully soon, you'll be ready to shake off the "denial blanket" and grab the hope that is right there next to you. Sending you lots of love. And yeah... burn the book!

twirl said...

I didn't ask a single question at my first appointment either. I don't know my doctor's take on things like episiotomies and sections and the like, I just figured I'd find out if we ever go there and I'd make my wishes known then.

So glad for you that the doctor explained the weight thing to mr. december and that she seems to have a reasonable attitude towards gain.

oh, and you get to keep your pants on nearly always now!

Unknown said...

Just found you via the Commentathon. Get used to leaving your pants on. Though I did have to have a transvaginal ultrasound recently to check on my low-lying placenta (I'm pg after IVF), and the u/s tech asked if I'd ever had one before. I told her that I'm very familiar with the dildo cam.

And burning What to Expect is a great idea. I find that it's so negative.